Watergate derives its name from the Watergate Hotel in Washington DC.
Whilst is is now a term synonymous with corruption and scandal, in 1972 the Watergate was one of Washington’s plushest hotels. It also houses office complexes and residential apartments.
In more recent times, Watergate has been home to former Senator Bob Dole and was once the place where Monica Lewinsky laid low as the liaison that led to President Bill Clinton’s impeachment became news.
It was here that the Watergate Burglars broke into the Democratic Party’s National Committee offices on June 17, 1972.
If it had not been for the alert actions of Frank Wills, a security guard, the scandal may never have erupted.
Years later, one of the burglars, Eugenio Martinez, wrote about Mission Impossible.
- The Watergate Hotel
- The Burglars
- Frank Wills’ Watergate Log
- Eugenio Martinez’s Account of the Burglary
Watergate Burglary – Archived Posts
- Mar 19, 1973: James McCord’s Letter To Judge John SiricaFull text and images of the letter James McCord sent to Judge John Sirica in which he claimed that his plea and testimony were perjured and given under pressure. The letter implicated senior individuals in the Richard Nixon administration in the cover-up of the conspiracy that led to the burglary.
- Jun 17, 1997: 25th Anniversary Of Watergate Break-InLinks to media coverage in 1997 of the 25th anniversary of the Watergate break-in.
- Sep 28, 2000: Frank Wills, Man Who Discovered Watergate, Dies, 52Frank Wills, the man who discovered the Watergate burglary, has died in the United States, aged 52. Wills was the security attendant who discovered taped locks in the Watergate office and apartment complex on June 17, 1972.
- Jan 23, 2007: Howard Hunt, Watergate Conspirator, Dies, 88E. Howard Hunt, the man who recruited the burglars and organised the June 1972 break-in at the Democratic Party headquarters in the Watergate complex, has died, aged 88. Hunt recruited four of the five Watergate burglars: Barker, Gonzalez, Martinez and Sturgis. Along with James McCord, they were arrested in the Watergate complex on ...
- Jun 05, 2009: Bernard Barker, Watergate Burglar, Dies, 92Associated Press reports that Bernard Leon Barker has died in Florida, aged 92. Barker was a Cuban-born CIA operative who became of the burglars arrested at the Watergate complex on June 17, 1972.